Stretching for A Healthy Heart
-Stand with your left side facing a wall. Placing your left hand against the wall for balance, keep that arm slightly bent.
- Place your left heel on the floor in front of you. Lean forward from your hip (not your waist).
- Push your hip back and reach toward your toe with your right hand. Your foot can be pointing up (as shown) or flat on the floor, whichever is more comfortable for you. Make sure to keep your shoulders and back straight as you reach forward.
- Hold for two to three seconds.
- Return to starting position. Then repeat.
- Complete one set and then turn around and work the other leg
-Stand facing a wall slightly farther than arms length from the wall, feet shoulder-width apart. Lean against the wall, with both hands on the wall.
- Bening one leg, place the foot on the ground in front of you. The other leg extends behind you with the knee slightly bent. Both feet point straight ahead.
- Slowly move your hips forward, keeping your lower back flat. Be sure the heel of your back foot is flat on the floor, and your weight is in your back heel.
- Hold for 10-30 seconds. Then return to starting position.
- Repeat with other leg.
- Continue alternating legs.
Do this 5 times with each leg to start.